Today’s workplace minute will cover tips on surviving day one at your new job.
Things you should take with you:
- Notebook & Pen
- Bottle of Water
- Cash (Vending Machine)
TIP: Pick out you day one outfit the night before!
- Wake up nice and early, eat a good breakfast, and get ready for the day ahead.
- Check the weather report to avoid any potential clothing mishaps and commute delays.
- Aim to arrive at work at least 10 minutes before your scheduled shift but no earlier than 20.
- Sort out your work area, have your notebook and pen handy and be sure to take notes.
- Say hello to your new colleagues, introduce yourselves with a smile and use this time to ask questions.
- Be prepared to be thrown into the mix! Most employers give their newbies a work task on day one.
- If you are invited to an office meeting, be sure to take notes.
- Staying super late will not impress your boss. Stay for your shift, perhaps a wee bit longer depending on business needs, go home and reflect on everything you learned on day one. Set the example early.
TIP: Ask questions if you are not sure about something, but make an attempt to figure out the problem yourself. Doing so shows initiative!
Remember… your first week, especially your first day will be overwhelming. Whenever it feels like a bit much, take a moment to yourself for a breather. It will make a world of a difference.